Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Firefox 3 Upgrade Experience

So I took the plunge and finally downloaded Firefox 3. Firefox 2.x was working so well, I didn't really feel at first that there was much of an incentive to upgrade.

The upgrade went pretty smoothly. There were just a few plug-ins that I use that are not compatible with Firefox 3:

  • deskCut - allows you to create a desktop shortcut for the current page; if there's an alternative out there for Firefox 3, just let me know.
  • All-in-One Gestures - allows you to use mouse gestures to easily navigate backward, forward, or through a list of your backward or forward history; an alternative, FireGestures, is available for Firefox 3, and seems to be just as capable.
As a result of upgrading and taking advantage of the now built-in session and tab management of Firefox 3, my sessions are successfully saved when I either exit or (for whatever reason) the browser crashes. With the previous Session Manager add-on that I used, it stopped working at some point, giving an error about some line in a .js file.

To get Firefox to successfully open up Adobe PDF files, I had to:
  • Shut down Firefox.
  • Uninstall Adobe Reader 8.1.2.
  • Reinstall Adobe Reader 8.1.2.
  • Restart Firefox.
Otherwise, I would forever receive the error message, "Could not launch Acrobat". I could not tell you how annoying that is. Or how annoying it is that I have to restart my computer in order to uninstall Acrobat Reader 8.1.2. But we can leave that for a future blog. :-)

Happy browsing! :-)

No comments: